Through a Cooperative Agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the National Health Care for the Homeless Council (Council) will provide a limited number of Consumer Conference Subsidies to support consumer participation in the 2020 National Health for the Homeless Conference & Policy Symposium (Conference) occurring Monday May 11 to Thursday May 14, 2020, in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Consumers are defined as people who have experienced homelessness and have received services from the HCH grantee. The attendee should be one of the following:
- Members of HCH grantees’ Board of Directors, or
- Members of Consumer Advisory Boards of HCH grantees, or
- Employees of HCH grantee.
- HCH Grantees, for this purpose, are agencies that receive HCH grants from HRSA under Section 330(h) of the Public Health Service Act, or their subcontractors or sub-grantees (as listed in our HCH Grantee Directory).
This subsidy is for one consumer to attend the conference. The subsidy includes the following:
- Conference registration fees: $695, which includes the registration fee for a Learning Lab on Thursday May 14
- Hotel costs for three nights: $639 (Monday May 11 – Wednesday May 13)
- Incidentals such as pay-per-view TV, room service, or telephone calls from the room will not be available without a separate payment guarantee (a credit card provided) at check-in.
- Per Diem: $140
- The Per Diem allowance includes meals on travel days and meals not provided at the Conference, plus daily incidentals.
- Transportation: $200 is available for reimbursement of transportation-related costs.
- Organizational Representatives are responsible for arranging and paying for all ground or air transportation to and from the conference, including airfare, bus or train fare, and taxis or shuttles.
- Reimbursement for transportation-related costs will be made after the Conference and must be received by Friday, May 29, 2020. Organizations must submit a reimbursement request in writing with appropriate documentation.
- No reimbursements submitted after Friday, May 29, 2020 will be accepted.
- Travel planning should provide for arrival at the hotel in Phoenix, in time for the NCAB Orientation Meeting at 5 p.m. on Monday, May 11, 2020, and leaving after the Learning Labs end at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, 2020.
A large national conference in an unfamiliar setting is potentially overwhelming for any conference participant. To help assure a positive experience for all consumers, NCAB has developed a mentoring program pairing experienced NCAB leaders with new consumer attendees to provide orientation and on-going support for each new consumer, both before and during the Conference. A member of NCAB leadership will be contacting all first-time attendees prior to the Conference regarding mentorship, so please ensure consumer contact information is as reliable as possible. If you have attended previously but would still like a mentor, please contact Katherine Cavanaugh, Consumer Advocate, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (443) 703 – 1320. All NCAB steering committee members, Regional Representatives, and the staff of the Council will be available to assist during the Conference, as well.
Priority for selection will be in the following order:
- Consumer who is presenting at the 2020 Conference;
- Consumer who has not previously attended a NHCHC National Conference;
- Consumer who is nominated by a Consumer Advisory Board or Board of Directors;
- Consumer who is a member of a Consumer Advisory Board or Board of Directors;
- Consumer who is currently employed at a HCH Grantee
Consideration will be made to ensure that each organization that submits an application is able to bring one of their consumers before other organizations are given multiple subsidies.
Application & Reimbursement Schedule
To complete the application, you must fill out three forms: Consumer Subsidy Application, Health Center Representative Agreement form (to be completed by HCH staff), and the Consumer Agreement form. These forms must be completed by Friday March 13, 2020.
Decisions regarding consumer Conference subsidy applications will be communicated to applicants and consumers via email by Friday, March 20, 2020.
If you have any questions please contact Katherine Cavanaugh, Consumer Advocate, via email or phone at (443) 703-1320.
This program is supported by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $1,625,741, with 21.25 percent financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the presenters and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.