Veterans are greater risk for homelessness in large part due to the high prevalence of trauma. Fortunately, due to prioritization from the federal government, homelessness among veterans has been steadily declining since 2010: according to the annual point-in-time count, veteran homelessness declined from 74,087 in 2010 to 37,878 in 2018. These resources address the unique needs of this population.
- The Role of Medicaid and Impact of the Medicaid Expansion for Veterans Experiencing Homelessness (2017) | This brief with the Kaiser Family Foundation addresses Medicaid’s role for veterans experiencing homelessness and provides insight into how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Medicaid expansion has affected their coverage and access to care.
- Health and Homelessness among Veterans: Development & Pilot of a Military History Screening Tool (2015) | Accurate knowledge of veteran status is essential, as veterans may qualify for a number of Veteran Affair’s (VA) services and benefits that can resolve their health conditions and/or experiences of homelessness.
- A Troubled Homecoming: Understanding and Treating Veterans Experiencing Homelessness (2014) | The latest issue of Healing Hands(Fall 2014) addresses specific health concerns and health care access challenges for veterans experiencing homelessness.
- Funding for Veteran-Specific Services: A Quick Guide on Funding Opportunities for HCH Grantees (2014) | This quick guide provides an overview of federal programs offering funding for veteran services, including Community-Based Outpatient Clinics, the Supportive Services for Veteran Families Program, the VA Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program, the HUD-VA Supportive Housing program, and the Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program.
- HCH-VA Collaboration Quick Guide: Joining Forces to Coordinate Care for Unstably Housed Veterans (2013)| The purpose of this quick guide is to assist Health Care for the Homeless (HCH) grantees with their efforts to establish and strengthen collaborations with local Veterans Affairs Medical Centers (VAMCs).
- Health and Homelessness among Veterans: A Needs Assessment of HCH Grantees (2013) | Through key expert interviews and focus groups that culminated in a survey of HCH grantees, this study explored veteran demographics, health status, service utilization, unmet needs, and factors influencing preference for HCH services as well as the processes used by HCH grantees to identify consumers with veteran status and the nature of collaborations between HCH grantees and VA medical centers.
- Health and Homelessness among Veterans: Experiences of HCH Grantees(2012) | To examine the characteristics and needs of veterans within the HCH setting, the National HCH Council launched a veterans research initiative in December 2011. In phase 1 of the initiative, the National HCH Council conducted key expert interviews and focus groups with HCH clinicians and administrators to learn more about veterans accessing HCH services.
- Health & Homeless Among Women Veterans (2012) | This Research Update from the National HCH Council provides a focused literature review on health and homelessness among women veterans in the United States. This topic is gaining increasing attention in research, public policy, and the media due to rising levels of deployment and an elevated risk of homelessness among women veterans.
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
- National Alliance to End Homelessness Veterans Webpage
- Connecting Veterans to Social Security Disability Benefits: A Key Component to Ending Veteran Homelessness
- Supportive Services for Homeless Veteran Families
- Resources for Homeless Veteran Service Providers
- Best Practices: Sharing Information to End Veteran Homelessness
- USICH Goal of Ending Veteran Homelessness
This website is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $1,967,147 with 20 percent financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.
Copyright © 2021 National Health Care for the Homeless Council, Inc.
604 Gallatin Ave., Suite 106 | Nashville, TN 37206 | (615) 226-2292
Privacy and Payment Policies