The work of serving people experiencing homelessness and others struggling with trauma and poverty can be a heavy burden, as much as it is a privilege. This work requires mission-driven, compassionate professionals who can both empathize with their clients, and maintain healthy boundaries. In order to retain excellent providers and staff, organizations must prioritize supervision and enthusiastically promote self-care and work-life balance. The following resources address the challenges of burnout prevention in the workplace.
- To Fight Burnout, Advocate for Justice! (2019) | Workshop at the 2019 National Health Care for the Homeless Conference
- Self-Care Regimen for the Revolution (2017) | Mobilizer
- Compassion Fatigue: The High Cost of Caring (2012) | Healing Hands
- The Challenges of Supervision in HCH: Helping Staff Succeed (2006) | Healing Hands
- Creating and Maintaining a Healthy Work Environment: A Resource Guide for Staff Retreats (2003) | A healthy organizational climate is essential for effective service delivery and for staff recruitment and retention. Based on our experience facilitating organizational retreats for HCH programs, the HCH Clinicians’ Network published this resource guide.
- Renewal & Resiliency in Our Work (2002) | Healing Hands
- Coping with Stress, Creating & Maintaining Hope (1999) | Healing Hands
- SAMHSA Resources on Self-Care for Providers
- Self-Care: Taking Care of Our Selves So We Can Take Care of Others (2017) | Health Outreach Partners
- IHI Framework for Improving Joy in Work (2017) | Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Preventing and Eliminating Burnout in Practice (2017) Association of Clinicians for the Underserved archived webinar | View other ACU Burnout resources
- Compassion Fatigue | America ‘s Continuing Education Network offers a video and companion booklet
- Shelter Health: Essentials of Care for People Living in Shelter (2006) | See Taking Care: Coping with Grief and Loss, self-assessment tool for caregivers of trauma victims
- Trauma Stewardship (2007) | Laura van Dernoot Lipsky with Connie Burk
- What I Want From Supervision | Questionnaire from Heartland Health Outreach
Subscribe today to Receive our latest e-newsletters
This website is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $1,967,147 with 20 percent financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.
Copyright © 2022 National Health Care for the Homeless Council, Inc.
604 Gallatin Ave., Suite 106 | Nashville, TN 37206 | (615) 226-2292
Privacy and Payment Policies