COVID-19 & Policy Issues
We are working on your behalf to mitigate the impact of this crisis on individuals experiencing homelessness. We are communicating with Congressional leaders on priority areas around health, housing, and homelessness in the constantly evolving national landscape. We have a state and local policy agenda as well as an action agenda for public health authorities and emergency response systems. We’ll continue creating spaces for our community to share best practices. See more of what we’re doing below.
Looking for federal guidance or local protocols? See our COVID-19 Resources.
Want to receive our biweekly COVID-19 e-blast?
Sign up here and find archives here!
Specific Policy & Advocacy Goals:
- EVERY community has identified appropriate isolation/quarantine accommodations for people who are homeless.
- EVERY community has banned evictions, encampment sweeps, vehicle tows, and other actions that destabilize living spaces
- EVERY community is taking proactive, constructive actions to assist unsheltered populations living on the street and in encampments, such as the provision of hand-washing stations and bathrooms
- EVERY homeless health care provider has sufficient levels of PPE, supplies, and support from local emergency response systems
- EVERY community is supporting Continuums of Care (CoCs), shelters, transitional housing programs, food programs, and other homeless services providers to ensure they are able to continue providing vital services while also keeping their staff and clients safe
- EVERY community leverages emergency funding to increase medical respite program capacity, and other services provided in shelters and temporary housing to meet the health care needs of those needing ongoing care
- EVERY community is deploying outreach teams to deliver needed information, supplies, and services to unsheltered populations, and does this in a trauma-informed manner
National HCH Council Materials
Fact Sheet: Administration’s COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate: Frequently Asked Questions for the HCH Community | Nov 2021
Blog/British Medical Journal: Bringing COVID-19 Vaccines to High-Risk Populations—Like Those who are Homeless—Requires a Tailored Approach | March 2021
Letter to Governors and Local Officials: Increasing COVID-19 Vaccine Access for People Experiencing Homelessness | Feb 2021
Summary: Biden Administration’s ‘National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness’ (read the full plan here) | Feb 2021
Resources: Strengthening Partnerships for Better Health Outcomes During COVID-19 (as part of The Framework for an Equitable COVID-19 Homelessness Response) | Jan 2021
Issue Brief # 11:COVID-19 & the HCH Community: Consumer Perspectives of the COVID-19 Vaccine | Jan 2021
Issue Brief # 8: COVID-19 & the HCH Community: Ensuring Access to Care Through State Medicaid Telehealth Policies | Nov 2020
NHCHC’s comment letter to the National Academies of Science on their Discussion Draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine
Comparative Analysis Paper: COVID-19 Response in Countries with Single-Payer & Implications for Impoverished Populations
Our Partner’s COVID-19 Landing Pages
Find government documents and guidance on our main COVID-19 resources page.
This page is being regularly updated. Please contact Policy Team with questions or suggestions.