This webinar will provide a history of Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day and the organizing tools provided by the National Coalition for the Homeless, the National Consumer Advisory Board, and the National Health Care for the Homeless Council as well as in-depth examples of how two communities plan and thoroughly carry out their events.
Each year since 1990, on or near the first day of winter and the longest night of the year, NCH, NCAB, and NHCHC have cosponsored National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day to bring attention to the tragedy of homelessness and to remember our homeless friends who have paid the ultimate price for our nation’s failure to end homelessness.
To maximize the impact of the day, these three organizations encourage local and statewide groups to hold memorials of their own. Ideas on potential partners in the community, different models of memorials, and ways to garner public attention will all be discussed.
- John Lozier, MSSW; Executive Director, National Health Care for the Homeless Council; Nashville, Tennessee
- Michael Stoops, Director of Community Organizing, National Coalition for the Homeless; Washington, D.C.
- Joseph Benson, SEARCH Homeless, Houston HCH; Chair, National Consumer Advisory Board
- Adam Schneider, MSW; Community Relations Coordinator, Health Care for the Homeless, Inc.; Baltimore
- James Crawford, Jr., Bmore Housing for All, HCH Baltimore Board Member; NCAB Regional Representative; Baltimore