Older adults comprise a growing proportion of the homeless population, and indeed homelessness causes premature aging. The health care and homeless services systems are bracing for older adults’ more complex needs. Read more below about recent research and strategies for serving the elderly.
- Clinicians’ Coffee Chat: Aging and Homelessness (2019) | Archived webinar
- Equitable Aging in Place: Expanding the Harm Reduction Model to Higher Levels of Care (2019) | Sarah Marris-Swann, RN, BSN | Presented at the 2019 National Health Care for the Homeless Conference
- Recommendations for End-of-Life Care for People Experiencing Homelessness (2018) | Adapted Clinical Guidelines
- Health & Housing Partnerships for Older Adults: Aging in Place in Supportive Housing (2017) | Jointly published with CSH
- Aging and Housing Instability (2013) | In Focus
- Aging on the Streets (2008) | Healing Hands
- The Emerging Crisis of Aged Homelessness (2019) | Culhane et al | University of Pennsylvania
- See the National Alliance to End Homelessness blog analyzing the Culhane report
- Homeless Over 50: The Graying of Chicago’s Homeless Population(2008) | Chicago Alliance to End Homelessness
- Meeting the Housing and Care Needs of Older Homeless Adults: A Permanent Supportive Housing Program Targeting Homeless Elders(2013) | Brown et al | NIH
- 2019 National Conference on Ending Homelessness presentations: Research on the Aging Homeless Population: It is the Future: Culhane and Kushel
- How to Prevent Homelessness Among Older Adults (2016) | Justice in Aging
This website is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $1,967,147 with 20 percent financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.
Copyright © 2021 National Health Care for the Homeless Council, Inc.
604 Gallatin Ave., Suite 106 | Nashville, TN 37206 | (615) 226-2292
Privacy and Payment Policies